Over 250 million work days are lost to back pain every year in the United States, and approximately 80% of Americans will experience this issue at some point during their lifetime. It’s a concerning statistic and one that’s only getting worse.
Americans spend an large amount of time hunched over desks. We move from car seats to office chairs and then to sofas. Thanks to the smartphone revolution, even when we’re standing or walking, heads are down, necks are craned, and backs are hunched. It’s no wonder that posture problems are so prevalent and becoming more so with each passing generation.
If you spend many hours sitting down or just want a little extra support, a memory foam orthopedic seat cushion could be the answer. These cushions are designed to provide support for the spine, helping to limit the pressure placed on the backside and lower back.
Benefits of an Orthopedic Cushion
Poorly designed seat cushions and hard-back chairs force users into making slight and often imperceptible changes to their posture. They may hunch more, lean forward, or shift their weight. Over time, posture problems develop and result in debilitating and often life-long back pain.
Continued use of these chairs will only make the condition worse, causing more pain and distress.
A memory foam orthopedic cushion helps balance the body’s weight while providing a supportive foundation. It may help to reduce pain and improve posture and is ideal for seniors who suffer from these issues, as well as younger adults who work office jobs or drive long distances.
What to Look for in a Memory Foam Cushion
To find the best memory foam cushion for your needs, look for the following features:
- Portability: The best seat cushions can be taken anywhere you go, whether it’s to a restaurant, a friend’s house, or even just from one room to the next.
- Durability: For every quality product made from durable materials, there are dozens of cheaply made knockoffs using materials that will rapidly degrade. Buy cheap and buy twice, as the saying goes. Look for a quality product that will last for years.
- Size: Will it fit the chairs that you use every day? Will it fit your backside? You may need a wider fit if you have large chairs.
- Value: Forget about price and focus on value. Does saving a few dollars mean you’re getting an inferior product, can you spend a few more to increase the quality? You don’t need to spend huge sums to get a good product and if you do your research, you’ll get a high-quality product at an affordable cost.
- Non–Slip: Users with mobility issues and balance problems should focus on non-slip cushions. If not, the cushion could slip and the user will injure themselves.
- Breathable and Cool: Is it breathable and will it remain cool? These are key considerations, as it could get hot at some point during the day, meaning the cushion may have to absorb a lot of sweat.
The Best Memory Foam Orthopedic Cushions
The following memory foam cushions are some of the best on the market right now. However, these products are based on our research and may not have what you’re looking for. Make sure you read the product descriptions, specifications, and user reviews before placing your order.
ComfiLife Gel Enhanced Seat Cushion
One of the best-selling memory foam cushions at Amazon.com and one of our personal favorites. The ComfiLife uses gel memory foam for comfort, support, and cooling. It has an ergonomic design, a non-slip surface, and comes with a lifetime warranty. It weighs less than 1.5 lbs. and is suitable for use on most chairs.
At the time of writing, there are over 21,000 reviews for this product at Amazon.com and most of them are positive.
WAOAW Seat Cushion
An affordable memory foam cushion available for as little as $25 at Amazon.com. It is 100% memory foam and utilizes a U-shaped design for maximum support and comfort. It is small enough to take with you wherever you go, and it is suitable for use at home, in the car, on a plane, and anywhere else you need support.
HOKEKI Memory Foam Seat Cushion
Available in grey and black, and retailing for less than $35, this ergonomic seat cushion is made from premium memory foam and has a non-slip surface. It has very high average user-review rating and may provide assistance with leg, hip, and back pain.
iCozyHome Coccyx Seat Cushion and Lumbar Support
This duo-pack has a slick-design, with a jet-black background and bright blue lettering. The cushion is made from 100% memory foam and features a breathable cover that allows for maximum airflow. It provides support for back pain and hip pain and is mobile, so you can take it with you.
Sigmat Memory Foam Seat Cushion
A simple round non-slip memory foam cushion that is perfectly suited for use on hardbacked chairs and stools. It is available in several different colors and is one of the cheapest options on this list, with a price of between $20 and $25 at Amazon.com.