Electric Patient Lifts are also referred to as power lifts. Instead of being operated manually, these patient lifts are powered by a battery or AC electrical current. This makes them easy to use by patients with disabilities. They also makes caregivers’ and hospital workers’ lives easier since it relieves them of heavy lifting.
About Electric Patient Lifts
Electric power lifts use an electric motor to pump hydraulic fluid that moves the lift’s arm up or down. They use a switch to turn the hydraulic pump on and off, and the arm of the lift can move in any direction to help the user get in and out of a pool. If the power goes out, the lift will continue to function with the help of its backup battery.
Several manufacturers of medical devices offer electric powered patient lifts, including Invacare, Medline, Graham-Field, and Joerns.
Benefits of Using an Electric Patient Lift
Electric patient lifts have several benefits for both the patient and their caregiver. Because they are automatically powered, the patient can use the lift without assistance from another person. Additionally, they provide a safe way to help patients with limited mobility go from A to B with ease.
Below are some of the top electric patient lifts on the market.
Drive Medical Bariatric Power Lift
The Drive Medical Bariatric Power Lift is an electric patient lift that is suitable for lifting bariatric, or overweight and obese, patients. The weight limit is 600 pounds, as the casters are made from heavy duty material that makes them durable.
This lift requires a two-inch clearance at the base and was designed to be quite wide to make it more comfortable. For safety, the lift has an emergency release to allow for a safer transfer of the patient. The battery of the lift can be unplugged and charged separately, and the parts of the lift are upgradable.
- Designed for bariatric use up to 600-pounds
- Needs furniture clearance of 4.5 inches
- Lifting range: 32 to 75.5 inches
- Front caster size: 3 inches
- Rear caster size: 4 inches
- Comes with a 4 & 6 point sling
- Not bulky, so it moves relatively easily
- Does not lift patients from the floor
Liko Viking Medium Patient Lift
The Liko Viking Medium Patient Lift weighs 77 pounds and can carry up to 450 pounds. It is made from refined aluminum for maximum durability. This lift can lift patients directly from the floor at two speeds, offers comfort and stability, and has hand controls that make it easy to operate.
- Average patient weight
- Needs furniture clearance
- Lifting range: 70.5 to 16.5 inches
- Front caster size: 3 inches
- Rear caster size: 3 inches
- Uses an eco-friendly battery
- Can lift patients from the floor
- Has three slings; 2 & 4 point and a standard sling
- Not portable
Liko Viking Extra-Large Patient Lift
The Liko Viking Large and Extra-Large Patient Lifts can accommodate up to 660 pounds. They come with a control panel and hand control that make them easy to operate, and they also have a scale that reads the exact weight of the patient.
This lift is perfect for gait training or for those with mobility challenges.
- High weight limit
- Can lift patients from the floor directly
- Requires furniture clearance
- Lifting range: 18.1 to 70.5 inches
- Front caster size: 3.9 inches
- Rear caster size: 4.9 inches
- Has many parts that may be hard to assemble